Rename a Citrix XenApp Server (Presentation Server/Metaframe) Is a very common administrative task, but many administrators ignore that Citrix has recommendations to be followed. And this recommendations are different from XenApp 4.0/4.5 than XenApp 5.
Basically, there is only one item that was included by Citrix on the procedure to rename servers. But is very important, and you can have serious problems if you don’t follow the instructions below to set in Registry to IMA service force a Localhost replication with datastore.
To XenApp 5.0 the procedure found at page 306 of Citrix XenApp Administrator’s Guide (XenApp 5 for Windows 2008) is:
1. Create a Citrix local administrator account on the server you want to rename.
2. On the server you want to rename, run chglogon /disable to prevent users from logging into the server.
3. Open the Access Management Console on a different server, remove the server to be renamed from published applications assigned to that server.
4. On the server you want to rename, stop the Citrix Independent Management Architecture service.
5. In the Registry, set the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWow6432NodeCitrixIMARUNTIMEPSRequired registry value to 1. This value is KEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARECitrixIMA RUNTIMEPSRequired on XenApp, 32-bit Edition.
Caution: Not changing the PSRequired registry value to 1 can result in incomplete records in the data store. Changing this value to 1 forces the Citrix Independent Management Architecture service to communicate with the data store and create a record for the newly named server.
The value for PSRequired reverts to 0 the next time the Citrix Independent Management Architecture service restarts.
6. Change the name of the server in the server operating system and restart the server.
7. Log on to Access Management Console using the local administrator account you created.
8. Update all references to the old server to the new server name. This might require logging on to the XenApp Advanced Configuration tool as well.
Important: Before removing the old server name, change all objects that reference the old name to the new server name, including data collector ranking, published application references, load evaluators, and zone settings.
9. Expand the Servers folder and remove the old server name from the Access Management Console’s list of servers.
10. Add the new server name to the list of configured servers for published applications.
To Presentation Server 4.0 the procedure found at page 81 of Advanced Concepts Guide for PS 4.0 that was commonly used for XenApp 4.5
1. In the Presentation Server Console:
• In the Add MetaFrame Administrators wizard, select Add local
administrators to the Administrator node
• From the Privileges screen, choose Full Administration
2. Use chglogon /disable to prevent users from logging on to the server.
3. Remove the server to be renamed from any published applications assigned to that server.
4. Stop the Citrix IMA Service.
5. Change the name of the server.
6. Restart the server.
7. Use chlogon /enable to restore the previous setting.
8. Log on to the console using the local administrator account.
9. Expand the Servers folder.
10. Remove the old server name from the console’s list of servers.
11. Add the new server name to the list of configured servers for published applications.
And pay attention at Citrix web site because the procedure can be changed after apply future hot fixes or product upgrades!